First Week....

Hey guys! This was the first week of my sophomore year in college. Boy oh boy am I excited! I am currently in EDUC 410. This class from the looks of it, looks like it will be amazing. I have learned so much in such a short period of time. I literally had one class day and yet I can tell my experience this year will be phenonminal.

Our first day of class we pretended like we were 5th graders. (HOW COOL IS THAT?) We got to build beams out of chocolate bars and weigh objects on-top of it to see if it would collapse. Of course we had an objective for doing this. We were making a connection to the bridge that collapsed recently in Geneo, Italy. Professor Clark made this lesson so fun and intriguing. We read the newspaper article on the tragedy. Then we make predictions on why we thought the bridge had collapsed based on the article. We honestly did about 5 different subjects and methods in one lesson. For example, we did art, math, reading, science, critical thinking, inference skills, etc. From looking at Professor Clarks lesson plan, this made me go home and research ways that I can make my lesson intriguing and interesting just like she did. She literally did not lose anyones attention at any point. We wanted to know what was going to happen next. While looking for my outside research, I came across a website blog (http://www.teachhub.com/5-teaching-strategies-keep-class-interesting). This article had 5 teaching strategies that keeps your class engaged. This helped me learn a few things because I now know more about what I should use in the future.

For homework we had to watch a lesson plan of a student teacher and fill out a diagram about the components of the lesson plan. I was lucky enough to be in class with the teacher in the video when she was teaching her lesson. The teachers lesson was about cause and effect. Everything in her lesson was perfect, at least to me. She introduced her lesson by making connections to things we see in our everyday lives. Then went on to asking us questions. The teacher continuously asked us questions to make sure we were understanding the lesson up until the point where we had our independent practice. Even while we were working independently, the teacher still came around and made sure we did not have any questions. Watching this video made me see how I would like to teach one day. This sets an example for myself and where I would like to be. Although it is not in the video, the teacher integrated her lesson by including reading and science. She showed us various examples of cause and effect by displaying science experiments within the classroom. Looking back on my childhood memories, most of my teachers did not include other subjects into one lesson. I think this is something that I would want to learn how to do because it engages your students more and they also learn more.

Looking back at the NCTCS, 3a states that teachers should "develop and apply strategies to make the curriculum rigorous and relevant for all students and provide a balanced curriculum that enhances literacy skills." As seen in Dr.Clarks lesson in class she provided a curriculum filled with different subjects all combined to make one point across. A current events lesson. I believe that having great examples around will help me better myself for the future. The information that I learned as well was how to break a lesson plan. I learned this in EDUC 250 but now that I actually get the just of it, I understand it way better. I know that by the end of this semester I would grow so much. I can not wait to see all of the new things I will be learning in the classroom for now, my future and digging deeper into the NCTCS. This is all for today, I only had one class day. Do not worry though, I will make sure I blog soon!

Comments